Royal Marines Centaur Mk.IV
95mm CS - Type "C" Hull

1/35 scale by Terry Ashley

I wont go over the basic kit construction here, this was covered in the Kit Review. I will only mention the updates and other details added to the kit to produce this variation. centaur
Accurate Armour Update/Detail sets used:

Lower Hull:
The lower hull was assembled as per instructions taking carefull note not to use parts C26 & C27 but using parts A16 (in upper hull). This being the difference in the track tensioning system and is the main external difference between Cromwells and Centaurs (The other being the type of engine used)
The Perforated wheels: Firstly drill out the center section of the inside wheels to take the axle stubbs, I also decided to drill out from the inside a larger hole to take the ploy caps supplied in the Tamiya kit to allow me to add and remove the wheels easily. I left the wheels off untill all painting and weathering was completed. Also add the kit parts A24 to the new wheels. Replace kit parts A12 (outside idler wheel) with the AA supplied items.
I also added to the rear hull the two supports for towing the Porpoise ammunition sledge (this was not fitted to all vehicles, but an option) AA parts F,G.
click for larger view
Click for larger view

Upper Hull:
Install parts A16 (as mentioned above). The hull machine gun is deleted on Royal Marine Support Group (RMSG) Vehicles, replace the kit parts with AA part 'E'. in conjunction with this is the deletion of the MG periscope, but strangely AA don't give you anything to blank this off. I added a plastic card disk to do the job. (Note: Not all 95mm Centaur's have the MG deleted, most Army vehicles maintain the MG as per normal gun tanks)
Using the AA brass set I added the side engine intake screens and the rear exhaust screen, also the mounting brackets for the tow ropes along the right side of the vehicle. Quite a few other etched parts are supplied which can be used on other vehicles, sights, Welsh Guards exhaust cowls and fittings for the Normandy cowl etc.
I replaced a number of rear engine deck and hatch handles with thin wire in pre-drilled holes for a better appearance. Also added were the electrical leads for the two small front fender lights. These come out of fittings on top of the front hull with leads to the lights, again using thin wire. I also added a number of bold heads on the the rear mud guards from thin sprue.

click for larger view
Click for larger view
Replace the entire Tamiya supplied gun and breech (in step 12) with the AA suppied parts. Cut off the front of the Besa MG (kit part D23) and attach to the new AA mantlet. Attach the new gun assembly to the front turret (part D27) using the kit supplied parts D25 & D26. Remove the turret pericsope in front of the Commander's hatch and replace with AA part 'D' ( don't use kits parts D11, D12). Most RMSG vehicles did not have the turret searchlight fitted.
I added bolt heads to the turret hatch hinges (a strange ommission by Tamiya) 3 bolts of each hinge for the Commander's hatch and 2 for the loader's hatch hinges. The remander of the turret can be assembled as per kit instructions.

The finished model was airbrushed using Xtracolor X1 RAF dark green. This is a very close match for the army dark green when the final coat of matt is applied. It could possibly use a bit of lightening, but after final weathering it gives a fairly good match and has the advantage of being gloss for adding the decals.

click for larger view
Click for larger view

The RMSG vehicles had a distinctive series of degree marking around the turret, these are supplied on the AA decal sheet. Care should be taken when applying these as they are very thin and can easily be damaged as they are quite big. I actually cut the sections for the front turret sides into two to make application easier. A good range of vehicle "T" numbers and vehicle names are supplied to make any number of RMSG vehicles along with the colourful unit markings. A note here, leave off the turret bolts with lifting eyes (parts D33) until the decals have been applied, you will never get the decals on with these parts attached.
Final weathering was done using a wash of black oil paint and a series of drybrushings with various earth colours to arrive at the desired effect.
The figures are a combination of Verlinden's British Tank Crew and Tank Commander figures. A number of companies have released Cromwell Crew figures, namely Cromwell Models, Ultracast, Warriors and Yanks Miniatures. Unfortunatly none of these arrived in time for this model but I will be using all of them at a later stage (I may even re-crew this model).

The base is a simple piece of chipboard covered with plaster with the addition of basic items to give a home for the model.
I prefer to display models on a basic base to give perspective to the model and also so that once the model is finished it doesn't have to be handled. It looks better than a model sitting on a bare table.
I this means it's then classified as a diorama, well too bad. I build models for my own satisfaction, not to please some competition judge.

click for larger viewclick for larger view
Click for larger view


Click Browsers BACK button to return to list
Return to Home